Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Birth Story

Claire Constance was born July 10th 2009 (38 weeks and 2 days) @ 9:39am, weighing 6lbs 7oz and measuring 20 inches long!

Eyes: Dark Blue/Hazel
Hair: Dark Brown

Community Hospital - Munster, IN
Delivery Room - 8
Postpartum Room - 187

Here is my story:

I had my 38 week doctors appointment on Thursday July 9th 2009. As we were driving to the doctors office, Eric and I were guessing how far dilated I would be. At 37 weeks, I was 2-3 cm dilated. I was hoping for a good 3, Eric thought 4. Well, I was already 5cm dilated, my blood pressure was slightly high so my doctor decided it was time to induce me on Saturday July 11th. At that appointment I also found out I was GBS positive. Luckily, I didn't have to much time to look into it too much and worry my self into another anxiety attack. When we got done at the doctors office and were on our way home some irregular contractions began. I did think too much off them, seeing that I had them after my doctor checked me the previous week. We decided to stop at a local Mexican take-out restaurant for dinner. While we were waiting for our food, I started to feel the contractions a little more often. We got home, had dinner and started to realize the contractions were still there. Although not too strong but some what close together. I decided to have Eric start writing them down around 8pm. They were ranging anywhere from 10 to 2 minutes apart. I knew this might be the night we had been waiting for, for months so I decided to indulge myself with a big, huge, and very yummy ice cream sundae! One last pregnancy craving. We continued to note the contractions until around 10pm, when we realized I had been having them on and off for a good two hours. We decided it was time to call the doctor.  While my husband was on the phone with the on-call doctor, I had to use the bathroom and to my surprise when I wiped, I had some bloody show. I yelled to Eric what I was experiencing, and before he could talk to the actually on-call doctor, the operator said, "head to labor and delivery!"

As soon as Eric said, "it's go time!" I got a second wind. I grabbed my hospital bag, the video camera, the digital camera, said good bye to our pups all within minutes. I was so nervous but yet, so very excited! The time had come - off we went to the hospital!

I got admitted into the hospital Thursday evening around 10:45pm. The nurse came in once, I was hooked up to all the machines and gave us our options. She said, "the doctor could come in tonight and break my water or we could wait until tomorrow morning to get this show on the road." We decided to wait until the next morning to start the labor process since everyone had worked all day and it was getting so late! I was so excited needless to say, I didn't sleep at all that night!

Our families arrived around 7am Friday July 10th. The moment they arrived I expressed how hungry I was. I was joking that I was having my "captain crunch cereal" (it was ice cubes of course)! The doctor arrived around 8:30am, checked me and said I was 5 to 6 cm dilated, he broke my water(which was clear!) The nurse said to let her know when I wanted to get my epidural and she would go ahead and order it. She did say not to wait too long because I would have to go through a bag and half of IV fluids before I could get the epidural. The contractions began within 5 minutes of the doctor breaking my water. The contractions were not too uncomfortable but I could tell they were different. Around 9am I asked for my epidural. I told the nurse I felt like I had to pee and being the first time mom, I wanted her to check me to make sure it wasn't the baby. I didn't want to get up to use the bathroom and have my baby fall out of me. She said, "that's not usually what you feel when you are having your baby but I'll check you!"  I was a good 6 cm.

I got up, used the bathroom and immediately after the last drop of pee came out, my contractions got A LOT stronger. I made it back to my bed and asked if everyone could rub some part of me, to take my mind of the pain. I had everyone rubbing me down for a good 5 minutes or so while I was asking "where is my epidural?!" All of a sudden my contractions become unbearable, I wanted no one to touch me! I immediately said, "STOP touching me!" The nurse asked my pain level and I said, "freakin 10"!! I told her I felt a lot of pressure down there. She checked me and I was 7 to 8 cm dilated! A minute later I felt the need to push! I told everyone, I felt like I was pushing. My nurse told me, that I was not ready to push so don't push! I was experiencing  transition labor... I was freaking out and didn't know what to do. One second I felt like I had to puke, the next I wanted to cry.  I asked Eric to be forehead to forehead with me and help me breathe through the contractions so I wouldn't push! This is were Lamaze class came in handy. The breathing was helping until I felt a huge gush of air! All at once, I felt unbelievable pressure!  I yelled, "I'm pushing!!" The nurse checked me and I was fully dilated! It was time to push!

The nurse asked me if I still wanted the epidural but she reminded me that I would have to sit up during it or she said,  "we could just have this baby?!" I knew I wasn't able to wait! I was already actively pushing! I said, "let's have this baby!"  Our dad's were asked to leave, Eric was made to put on his scrubs along with our moms. My husband was rushing and feeling really nervous so he proceeded to put one of the booties on his head, thinking it was the cap! I didn't really think it was funny at the time, I was really concentrating on having this baby. The nurse was telling me to go ahead and push! I was pushing, which truthfully felt so natural and good! (the pushing didn't really hurt at all, it was the most natural feeling. The contractions hurt way more then the actually delivery...I know, it was hard for me to believe too!) My husband kept saying, "stuffs happening, keep doing what your doing!" I was so hot, our moms were fanning me and I was able to enjoy the air in between contractions and pushing! The doctor finally arrived, I was continuing the pushing process. My doctor opted to give me an episotomy. As soon as he cut me her head came out! I yelled a relief scream and then with another push and another relief scream, her whole little body was out! So one hour and nine minutes after my water was broken Claire Constance was born!!

It was truly an amazing experience. One I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Who's Been Looking