Friday, May 28, 2010

Dinner Ain't Like It Use To Be

Dinner tonight was, well, interesting...

On the way to dinner, we decided to drive around our area and check out some surrounding towns. We want to get a feel for them before looking at houses for sale within those towns. Claire napped the majority of the time! We were 20 minutes from our dinner destination when Claire woke up and boy, did she wake up! She woke up screaming, very VERY loud. We tried to sing, clap, and act silly to calm her down. Nope, nothing worked. I crawled into the backseat and it made things worse. She saw me and all she wanted was for me to pick her up. So that 20 minute ride was a very long one. When we arrived, I unbuckled Claire as fast as I could. As soon as I lifted her up, I realized she was soaked. She had peed through he diaper. No wonder she was screaming.

We walked inside, got our table and then Eric headed to the bathroom with her. Yes, Eric and I take turns changing her "butt" when we are out and about! The restaurant we were at is a small, quaint, cafe. One where the atmosphere is quiet, relaxing with dimmed lighting. So with only half the tables filled with couples, it wasn't too loud in there. As I was looking at the menu, I could hear little screams coming from the bathroom. "Yup, that was my daughter, pissed that she was getting her diaper changed" I thought to myself. The screaming would start then stop and then start right back up again. I smiled and nervously looked around, hoping no one really cared.

As they were headed back to the table, Claire was still very whiney. I decided to give her a little boob. Which lasted a few good minutes until she decided to expose me to the whole restaurant. Boob time was over. We sat her in the high chair and immediately she started to scream. I reached into her diaper bag, retrieved her snack container. As soon as she saw it, she started to smile, laughing, and (good/happy) scream! Let's just say she ate almost her whole container of snacks during the time we were at the restaurant. She LOVES feeding herself now. When Eric and I got our dinner, the smiling, laughing, clapping, and happy screaming restarted. She loves people/table food. She can eat and eat and eat it. She got some turkey, corn beef, tomato, bread, and cheese. She would stick a piece in her mouth, (you have to give her just one because if you give her multiple ones, she will shove them all in her mouth. She's a real hoarder!) chew, swallow and if a new piece wasn't in her reach she would growl and scream.

Dinners are definitely not the same anymore. The time when we used to take a sleeping baby in her carrier into a restaurant and she slept the whole time is way over with. I have to admit, I kind of miss it but this too is so much fun. I love being able to play with her, watch her eat all by herself, and watch as she interacts with people around us! Our life is changing day by day and I truly love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Who's Been Looking