Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thinking About Making Claire's Hiney a Happy One


I am almost 100% sure that I want to switch to cloth diapers. I was in Orland Park a couple days ago and came across a very cute baby boutique - Cutie Poops and Bottoms. As soon as I walked through the doors, I was amazed at what I saw. It was the cutest store ever. On the wall to the left when you walk in, were all these Pamper diapers (like 5 stacks of 20 or more) and then next to those were a couple cloth diapers. The sign above the display, ask if you know how much money you can save by switching to cloth diapers. I could not believe the answer...over $2,000 from birth to potty training! As I walked through the store, looking at all the cloth diapers and natural baby items, the owner asked if I wanted a cloth diaper demonstration. I excepted her offer and was really happy with what she was showing me. At her store there are 4 different types of cloth diapers to choose from. There were ones that had pre folds, all in one, one size fits all, etc. I really liked the all in one diapers by Happy Hineys. The Happy Hiney diapers were a little more expensive but they were so amazingly soft (made of micro fibers). I also liked the fact that they were one size fits all (from birth to potty training). The lady recommended buying 2 days worth of diapers (any where from 15 - 20) so you would only be doing laundry every other day, instead of every day.

I am taking Eric back on Saturday (he is still very unsure about the whole cloth diaper idea) and let the owner give him the demnostration, that way Eric can ask all the question he wants too. His biggest fear is that we put all this money (any where from $200- $400 depending on the diaper) into cloth and that they fall apart, stain, or just plain suck. He doesn't want our money to go down the toliet by switching over. I told him everything the lady told me about cloth, even that they are resaleable (as long as they are taken care of) and reuseable (so we could use these diapers for ALL of our kids).

We will see how Saturday goes. If all goes as planned, we will be a "greener" family starting this weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. Cloth diapers are so, so expensive but I know a lot of ladies who SWEAR by them. We're planning on trying cloth diapering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to switch over, especially since Claire is using much less diapers these days. I know it's a big hunk of money all at once but I just keep thinking about all the money you can save! What brand do you want to use?
    I really like the all in one (no pre folds) and the one sie fits all.
    You know I'm on board, now I have to get your cousin on board! I hope the lady will put him in his place tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used those and bum genius because they are one size. I like the happy heiney snap ones better. I have about 30 diapers and we had to stop using them because they leak all the time. I didn't mind washing them but his clothes and everything he was touching- me included- would be wet 3-4 times a day. I even doubled up the liners. I couldn't handle it! We still use them on occasion, but I found a biodegradable diaper by naturecare and have it shipped free to my home from costco. If I were you buy a few and try them out before you go out and get a huge supply like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your blog design! I only have a second, but plan to come back and read more of your posts. I did want to let you know that I've only cloth diapered for about 4 months, but I Love it and my husband is great with it. You can read about my cloth diaper trial at my site - it might be good info for hubby too! Good luck and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. I absolutely recommend a cloth diaper trial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention the nature care are chlorine-free and bleach-free too. You can get $10 off your first order at diapers.com w/ the code Brendan. Let me know what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a great idea to do a diaper trail first! Thanks Ladies!

    CampMama - So Bredan's cloth diapers leaked? The lady I talked to said, that the don't leak?! Hmm... Did the leak when he was younger or just has he got older?

    Mindy - I will be checking out your cloth diaper trail. The hubby and I will take all the advice and information we can. We just want to make the right decision. Do you still use cloth? What brand??
    PS - I love your blog!!

    I will keep you all posted on what we decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! Cloth diapers are the best. We started from birth and we are still happily cloth diapering at a year. We use all cotton prefolds and they work great and are very affordable. Good luck finding the cloth option that works best for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Who's Been Looking